Tuesday 9 July 2013

Sauterns speculation

Well, once again I've been to my local Co-op. I don't mean to harp on about it, but they seem to be getting rid of a load of stock, and i can't miss out on wuch silly offers.

This time it's Sauternes. I have no experience when it comes to to this southern area of Bordeaux. I do know that it's the (almost) southern-most area of Bordeaux, next to the Graves and Barsac. It is famous for making sweet, desert white wine from, mainly, semillon, sauvignon blanc and muscadelle grapes. I fact, dry whites from this region are not allowed to be called Sauterns! Like good red wines and quality dry whites, the sweet wines of Sauterns age quite well. It is the high suger content of sauterns that allows them to do so.

I knew this much when i spied another special offer. Maybe not as good as recent others, this time a half bottle of Chateau Roumieu was at the (seemingly magical) price of £7. On the shelf i found both 2009 and 2010. I decided to get one of each. Because these were good vintages, i thought about getting a couple of each. However, as this blog is evidence to, i've bought a bit a wine recently, and i've never heard of this producer before, so i decided just to get one of each.

I thought it might be nice to leave them at the back of the cabinet for 5 years or so, and then, on a fitting special occasion, try both the 2009 and 2010 together and try and compare the differences/similarities between vintages.

Lets see how long i last. I really like trying new wines, and i know how much i like desert wine! We'll see, but I'm very much looking forward to that time. Once again, this shows that keeping an eye on your local outlets pays dividends, and this time, it's something different in the cellar!


No comments:

Post a Comment